BI SAFIYYAH - MOTHER OF MAULANA ILYAS DEHLVI
Bi Saffiyah was an excellent reciter and memoriser of the Holy Qur'an. She had memorised the Holy Book during her son Yahya's suckling and she had a command on memory that few could stand to contest. She had the habit of going through the Qur'an Al-Majid once daily during the month of Ramadan and thus would complete 30 repititions of the Noble Book. It was also her practice to perform the household duties and the recitation simultaneously. Her daily practice other than Ramadan was that she would recite:
- Durood shareef 5000 times
- Ism Dhat (One of Allahs names chosen on the virtue of its meaning) 5000 times
- بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم (in the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful) 900 times
- يا مغنى (O Enricher, Provider to His slaves) 1100 tiimes
- استغفار (I beg Thine pardon, Mighty Lord) 500 times
- حسبى الله ونعم الوكيل (Allah sufficeth me! Most excellent is He in whom we trust) 500 times
- سبحان الله (Glory be to Allah) 200 times
- الحمد للله (Praise be to Allah) 200 times
- لااله الا الله (There is no God but Allah) 200 times
- الله اكبر (Allah is the Greatest) 200 times
- افوض امر الى الله (I confide my cause unto Allah) 100 times
- حسبنا الله ونعم الوكيل (Allah is sufficient for us, Most excellent is He in whom we trust) 100 times
- رب انى مغلوب فانتصر (My Lord, I am vanquished, so give me help) 100 times
- رب انى مسنى الضر وانت ارحم الراحمين (My Lord, Lo adversity afficeth me, and thou are Most Merciful of all who show mercy) 100 times
- لااله الا انت سبحنك انى كنت من الظلمين (There is no God save Thee, Be Thou Glorified! Lo! I have been a wrong doer) 100 times
and, moreover she would recite some part of the Holy Qur'an.
Source: Leading Ladies, who made a difference in the lives of others
Subhanallah such an amazing example of a Pious Woman from Modern history, not only did she engage in Dhikr of Allah, but she would also fulfill her household chores and reared her children with an islamic upbringing. My sister and I, upon reading this did some quick calculations and arrived at the conclusion that on average Bi Safiyyah would do the Dhikr of Allah 12 times every minute, subhanallah, even then her recitation of the Qur'an has not been included!!
May Allah give us the ability to tread in the footsteps of our pious predecessors, generate the love of Allah in our hearts, obtain nearness to our Lord and live our lives in accoradance to the Shariah.
Duah ma yhad